29 June 2007

So we are inside of 100 hours before we are scheduled to board our flight to Kaz, and we have yet to put much attention towards preparing for our two months there. As of this morning the contractor part of our remodel is complete, the last of the carpet and tile installed, the last of the paint applied. KJ and I have been tireless in our rush to finish and while there is still a fair bit of work to do to get the house cleaned and bring things out of storage and back into the appropriate room of the house, the end is in site. We hope to be able to completely shift our focus to our time in Kazakhstan by Saturday which will give us roughly two days to prepare.

Our visas arrived today, our flights are set, our back-up copy of our dossier is in hand, the essentials are covered. I am sure we can make up the rest in short order!

Tomorrow our real estate agent comes to take pictures and the sign goes up out front. This morning my younger sister Cat left after a busy 5 day visit, and this evening KJ's parents arrived from Illinois and are set to stay here at the house while we are gone to look after our three boys (rottweilers actually). I haven't had much time to think about it yet, but it will be very difficult to be away from them for so long. I do love my boys!

I am very tired and my head is spinning and my thoughts are scattering and I am sure to have another long day ahead tomorrow. The plane ride is sure to be a surreal transition period putting closure to our six years together here in Lovell as a married couple, and marking the tangible beginning of our journey to familyhood. Exciting times. Take Care.

Steve

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How privileged we are to follow your journey! Your writing is great, Steve - sharing your feelings along with the details. What a plateful you and Kjersten have had these past weeks! I expect you both will get on that plane and collapse! How great that you will have a couple there to share experiences with - new life long friends I'm sure! We are excited about following your story and are anxious for pictures. How grateful we are for such powerful technology! I'm praying for safe travels and touching moments as you meet your daughter. God speed, Sandy & Allen

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the time for your journey has already arrived! i am thinking of you both... will call you tomorrow to say goodbye and check in, although i know you will be so busy!

Sending you so much love on this journey. i am SO excited!
deb

MaggieD said...

Steve and Kjersten:
I just saw your Blog today for the first time. We also used MAPS and Libby. Aren't they wonderful!!!! We traveled to Astana last summer and brought home our beautiful boy Jonathan. You will love your trip there. Dina will take good care of you and the Baby House is wonderful. They take such good care of the children. If you think of it please tell Dina, the Dr.'s and Dr. Alma a big hello from The Drake's for us. Enjoy your journey. It is awesome. If we can help you with anything, please email me at maggiedrake@westfieldgrp.com. Things are still pretty fresh from our trip and we love to help any way we can. Say hey to Libby too. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Maggie, Bryan, Rachael and Jonathan Drake

P.S. If you are interested and get a good connection, our website is www.drakefamilyadoption.com. It may give you some insight since you are going to the same place and through the same agency.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What you folks have been doing makes me tired and TRULY excited!! I'll be anxious to hear from you again and again.

Hug that little bundle of joy for Gary & me (Kristin/family and Alan/family, too)

We'll be thinking about you a whole lot in the next month or so.

Jan Liljegren