31 January 2008

Well we have just come home after a wonderful several days in John's Island Florida. The weather was chilly and windy, though that sure didn't keep us from having a great time with family and friends.

We stayed with my father and invited our friends Caroline and Winston along with their son Charles. We were fortunate to find that JetBlue recently began to fly non-stop from Portland(ME) to Orlando and so had reasonably simple travel down and back. Aitugan traveled wonderfully, having no trouble with take off and landings, and sleeping almost the entire flight (3 hours).

Being a two Subaru family, we decided to take this opportunity to rent a mini-van to get a sense of what that might be like. Overall, it was apparent what the draw might be in terms of simplicity and space, though I'm not sure we will be heading off to the dealership just yet.

As you might expect, we took a great many photos over the course of several days, so bear with me as I go through and begin to post some of the highlights.

Just to give you a sense of the cull, these pictures are pulled out from over 500 taken over four days, so don't ever believe that every shot we take is a keeper. That said, maintaining order in a library that expands that rapidly takes diligence and time, and is certainly not for everyone.

So away we go!

Aitugan enjoys what is most likely her first encounter with dirt and grass.



Aitugan meets my stepmother Susan, and has now spent time with all five of her grandparents.



Winston with her son Charles









Caroline and Charles share a quiet moment.



Enjoying a certain amount of liberty whilst feeding herself Avocado.



Sometimes there's only a subtle difference between eating and kissing.







Even Poppy pays a price for Tougy's rough explorations.



Off to the beach to introduce both Aitugan and Charles to the wonder of the ocean.









Okay, so maybe we misjudged that wave.





Caroline getting to know her new camera.



How big is Aitugan?



SO BIG!











10 comments:

Amy said...

What a happy family!!!

Sara said...

Yeah right. I've read a lot of adoption journals, since I'm looking to adopt in the near future, and yours has (BY FAR) the best photographs I've seen. It's a pleasure to browse.

The McLellands said...

The photos are great! I have a Nikon D40 but my photos do not even compare to yours! I believe it has a lot to do with the eye of the photographer!

Sara said...

What sort of camera do you have? I have a fuji finepix, and it's great in natural lighting, but I don't like pictures taken with the flash at all. One of the things I've been considering, before we travel (I say this like it's a definite, even though we're only meeting with the agency for the first time tomorrow!) is getting a digital SLR. However, I have seen some really bad pictures come out them, and the Fuji ones are big bucks. Your photos have such good clarity and color. - Sara

marsrob said...

Welcome home & BEAUTIFUL FAMILY PHOTOS!!!

Missed you!

Matthew Ruley said...

As always great pictures. We had to purchase a Nikon D40x. Not nearly as much camera as you have but great nonetheless. We also got the 18-200vr lense as you recommended and I love it! Since I've been tormenting our kitties chasing them around in preparation of our kazacutie!

Unknown said...

As always, your photos are just gorgeous. Nice to see you all in some warm weather finally!! :)

Susan said...

wow-simply GORGEOUS photo's. The colors you capture are incredible!

Your daughter gets prettier each day.
thanks for updating us!

I wish i could hire you to come to Kaz with us and chronicle our adventure. You are truly talented. :)

Sam said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photos. LOVE them!!!!!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Okay, so when did Aitugan's hair start to lose the battle with gravity? I can't believe it is all down! You all look fabulous and so happy. Rylie loves avocado too- it is definitely a house favorite.
And here's to hoping for a smooth adjustment when Mommy goes back to work-- it is a big adjustment, but you will all survive, I promise.
So glad you are all well!
Hugs from AZ...
Sara, Adam, and Rylie