11 January 2009

2008 has come to a close, and with it, so does our first full year with our incredible daughter Aitugan.

Where does one begin to sum up their first year as a parent. Do you attempt to convey the incredible changes you've witnessed in your child written from the perspective of an objective observer, or do you try and incorporate the myriad ways in which you have changed and grown in as many, or perhaps even more, ways as has the child.

I know it sounds cliche to say that nothing can quite prepare you for parenthood, but let's face it, things become cliche because they ring true for so many. What a year it was.

On the one hand, it would be easy to state that physically she is an entirely different child than she was at the beginning of the year, though at the same time, you can find roots to many of her current behaviors and attitudes that stretch back to our first days with her in Kazakhstan in late 2007.

Every day reveals something old, something new, something borrowed, and something ... pink.

On the old side of things are the patterns and processes that continue to be reinforced and expressed as her 'nature'. She is bold, engaging, loving, explorative, independent, tender, and compassionate.

On the new end of the spectrum are the actions and words that expose both her physical development and emotional awareness. She has always been a very active girl, but every day brings new surprises and calls for greater autonomy. She clearly expresses her wants and feelings and is beginning to understand how to talk about sentiments like happy, sad and tired.

As for borrowed, she is clearly coming into a stage of intense mirroring. Older children seem to have the greatest influence upon her, but she also reflects the language, posturing, and actions of adults as well. She watches intently and listens to more than we are often aware.

And the pink, well, I just sort of had to throw that in there. She does, however, like to have input into what she wears and enjoys the freedom of choice, even if those choices are often imperiously choreographed by us.  

The upcoming year promises even more exciting developments and new twists.

2008 ended with a flurry of activity, and I am sorry to have been so neglectful of the blog of late.  I wish I could tell you I will be better in the coming months, but time will tell.

In the area of exciting news, late December brought two nuggets our way.  First, after 1 year and a half on the market, our old house in Lovell is finally under contract and set to close this month.  What relief that will be to have that now fully behind us.

Second, we learned that our dossier for our next adoption was received by the Kazak consulate in NYC on 23 Dec, 363 days after we arrived home with Tougy.  Timelines for adoption paperwork are always difficult to speculate upon, though we anticipate having completed our adoption by this time next year.

As of this point, I don't know quite what we will do about a blog for the second adoption.  Will we maintain a second wholly distinct blog, or will we blend them both into this one?  It has yet to be seen.  I can clearly see the struggle of the 'second child syndrome' developing.  Already I find myself reacting differently the second time through, and I must admit, it gives me pause.

I recognize that every family and every child is different regardless of birth order, but in an attempt at keeping things level, I feel a need to remain cognizant of the way in which I approach both of these life changing events.  We are all something I suppose, be it only child, baby of the family, oldest child, 7 of 11, only girl, what have you.  As for me, my label was middle child and I think I behaved accordingly - sorry mom and dad.

So December wrapped up with lots of activity.  In the middle of the month Tougy and I drove down to New York to spend a night with my older brother and his family.  The next weekend KJ, Tougy and I flew to Chicago for a few days with most of the rest of my family.  Christmas day was spent here at home with just the 3 of us, then we spent a day with KJ's family here in Maine a few days later.  

Just after New Year's, we drove out to Cape Cod to spend a wonderful 2 days with Jen, Marshall and Aila Robinson.  As I write this, KJ is in Portland with Tougy dropping off KJ's brother and his girlfriend at the airport after a nice few days with them.

Next Friday, KJ, Tougy and I fly to Orlando for a week in Florida.  It will be great to see green again and to have Tougy be able to play outside in something less than a snowsuit.  Who knows, Tougy may even spend some time at the big mouse's place.  That should give us a few more photos opportunities - you know, since we take so few!

We hope you are all well and would like to again thank you for showing an interest in our story.  It has been an amazing journey and 2009 shows no hint of letting up.  Take Care.









10 comments:

Sandi said...

Hey there,
Love the update. I just read you will be in Orlando. If your up for a visitor let me know, I am right in Orlando and have a pretty flexible schedule. So let me know if you will have any free time.

Have a safe trip...

Sandi

Susan said...

I got Kj's email and hope to be able to drive up friday after school and meet you guys for dinner..Sandi had a great suggestion of a place. :)

wonderful update, and wonderful pictures , as always. I was waiting to see the fair Aila and the Tougster together again. :) Of course, you did not dissapoint. :)

So exciting that your dosssier in IN KAZAKHSTAN! Of course, I am hoping that you get to visit the lovely town of Kostanai. :)

Congrats on this great news, and selling your house, and completing, quite successfully may I add, the first year of parenting your not only stunningly beauitiful, but obviously sweetly compassionate and endearing child. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR INDEED. :)

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

I have really enjoyed following your family's journey this year! Watching Tougy grow and change has been such fun. And seeing you settle into the role of the great father you obviously are has been equally cool. Happy New Year!

marsrob said...

LOVE YOU ALL. Happy, safe travels and fun to all. What a year it has been - indeed. And what a year ahead. With so much love.

Kelly and Sne said...

Very well said - I wish I could be as eloquent in describing what parenthood - and witnessing the growth of our child - has been since we've been home.

Congratulations on the movement of your dossier. As I understand it, that is a pretty major milestone these days! We have also started the process for #2 but are still in the paperchase. I understand the 2nd child syndrome (I was the oldest of two) and I made a secret vow to myself that we would make an extra effort to do all of the things for "Little" that we've done for Miras. We are tracking it on the same blog, however, as I've decided it's a "Family" blog.

Sounds ilke you had a great holiday! Happy new year!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi there,
It's been awhile since I've been on your blog (or any other for that matter). I just arrived back from Kaz on Dec 12th and my in-laws left on Jan 13th. Hooray, It's just me and my little one Audrey! Pat left me in Kaz as he had to go to Iraq. I'm looking forward to his 2 week visit in June.

I already see changes in Audrey and Pat can see them in photos. I sure wish he could be here her first year at home. We miss him terribly.

I like what Kelly said, "A family blog." I'm excited for you to start on another adoption in Kaz. Aitugan has changed a great deal since I last checked in. She's as cute as ever. How wonderful that she gets to visit her friend Aila too!

Happy New Year,
Eileen, Audrey & Pat

Kristan and Mark said...

Wow, it's hard to believe it's already been a year. I can't remember how I found yoru blog, but I am so happy I stumbled upon it.

I hope to see you again at Kazapalooza.

Your photos never disappoint and Tougy is growing even more beautiful.

I look forward to following along on your journey to number two.

As the mother of three children, I will say that you are different with the second than the first, however personality of number two will affect just how more than anything else, at least that is the way it has been in our house.

Happy New Year!

McMary said...

I always love seeing the latest pics of Aitugan and your post regarding your last year with her was so great. Exciting news about your dossier being in Kazakhstan. You are in my thoughts for a quick smooth process for your 2nd child to come into your life.

Regina said...

Happy New Year and congratulations on your dossier's new home, as well as the sale of your old home!

It has indeed been a remarkable year and I truly enjoy following your experience. Your remarks are so insightful. I love seeing Aila and Tougy together because they are such opposites of each other in the physical sense and both so gorgeous. The photo of them on the stairs is such fun!

One year home already? Hard to believe. Milo has been home 5 months and I already marvel at all the changes. We're doing well and I found a moment to update the blog a few days ago.

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Beautiful photos! I look forward to following your journey for your second child. I, too, am in the process for returning to Kaz although I'm a long time away. Best wishes, Susan from Austin