28 October 2007

Good Morning from Almaty. We are sitting in the airport café having a little breakfast and awaiting our next flight to Astana in about three hours. Things will definitely be happening quickly and as I am sure to miss details, I wanted to take a few minutes to catch up on the trip so far so as not to overlook it in the excitement of the moment later.

Our flights went very well, and we have collected all of our luggage at this end without incident. We had a ten hour layover in Amsterdam yesterday and had arranged to take part in a 3.5 hour tour yesterday that left from and finished at the airport. We booked it online from home and it was very easy and relaxing, though the desire to sleep at times overtook the desire to see.

Our group consisted of a father and son from Ghana, our driver/guide Marco, and us. We departed in a nice Mercedes van at 9am, toured around various points of interest in the downtown region, hopped on a canal boat and spent an hour cruising the canals, then got back in the van, drove into the countryside a bit and stopped at a traditional windmill, and then a wooden clog maker before returning to the airport.

Back at AMS we still had plenty of time to find a pair of the reclining lounge chairs upstairs next to the meditation center and fall asleep for a few hours. You have to love AMS. They really know how to provide for the in-transit tourist.

As I sit here in Kaz this morning the sun is rising over the snow topped mountains that seem to encircle Almaty. It is a clear but chilly morning with the temperature just below freezing, though it will certainly warm as the day goes on.

The reality of all that will follow in the next several days still fails to settle into our actions, as things continue to feel very normal and relaxed. There will undoubtedly be a tipping point in the near future where the accumulated lack of sleep, dramatic time change, and enormity of adoption will overwhelm all emotional and mental capabilities, and I will no doubt find myself a sobbing mess.

I expect I will welcome it, viewing it perhaps as an initiation of sorts into the realm of parenthood. Just as the passing of years makes it difficult to remember a time when we could not drive, or email, so too I expect, time will quickly make me forget a time when I was not a parent.

Likewise, just as it took me well into my teen years to even begin to fathom the notion that my own parents had lives prior to my arrival, so too will our daughter begin our lives with her memories of us. All that I was or did prior to this point will simply meld into her vision of Dad, and that person will be me. Surreal! Take Care.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Hey-glad to hear from you and that you have made it safely to Kaz without incident!

You do write beautifully. :)

We will be thinking about the next couple of days while you meet your child! That's gotta feel surreal.....

Matthew Ruley said...

What a wonderful post, full of insight and understanding of life's portals and passages. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading your travels. Suzanne "waiting, still!"

Priscilla & Greg said...

Hi Steve and KJ,
I just wanted to let you know that your blog is one of the few that I felt I could really relate to. My husband and I are still waiting to travel, and so many of the things you've mentioned have been thoughts on my mind, too. Thanks for being so honest and willing to share.
Best wishes,
Priscilla

The Cook said...

On pins and needles here waiting with excitement to hear everything! I am praying for you all.

Monica said...

So glad to hear a "safe & sound" update on your travels so far. I'm amazed that you had the courage and peace of mind to go on the Amsterdam tour. I find that really daring and speaks even more to your patience and relaxed attitude. I imagine I would be so anxious to get to Kaz that I would not want to think of anything but reaching that final destination. Good for you guys for DOING something with that precious pre-baby time rather than just sit there in an airport. Hoping everything continues to go so well.
Best wishes,
Monica

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you guys are doing well and that you are heading towards that baby girl. I got to thinking that the waiting, the disappointment, the working, the stress, the pain you've been through, and the anticipation with total excitement have all been just like giving birth - don't you think? Adoption??? ...Natural Childbirth! :) Keep breathing!
Love you!

Sandi said...

So glad to read that you guys made it safely to Kaz. Your trip in Amsterdam sounds amazing, I might have to look into that, depending on my lay over and if I will fly through their or Frankfurt.

I can't wait to continue reading your blog as you embark on meeting your daughter. Hopefully you are in Astana and getting settled.

sandi

Patrick & Eileen said...

We just love reading your blog! Not only are we excited for you and wait with anticipation to see photos of you with your daughter....we loved that you took advantage of your time in Amsterdam. It sounds like something we would do. Hopefully when the time comes we'll have a layover somewhere where we can *do* something too!

Congrats on your safe arrival in Kaz....enjoy your little one!

Eileen

Unknown said...

Hi Steve & KJ.

I am glad to hear that you have arrived safely. My thoughts and prayers are with you on your continued journey. What waits for you can not be compared to any other journey you have taken before now. It is a gift.

Love & Hugs.

WBS Kim

Anonymous said...

Steve & KJ

We returned home last night and have appreciated getting caught up on your journey today. So glad to know you reached your destination safely - with some fun sight seeing on the way! Anxious for further developments and your wonderful descriptions of them!