05 October 2007

Well the day has finally come when I can confidently say we are going back. We received our official paperwork necessary to apply for our travel visas yesterday. We made travel arrangements yesterday and will be flying Boston - Amsterdam - Almaty - Astana departing on the evening of Saturday 27 Oct, and arriving in the early afternoon of Monday 29 Oct. If all goes smoothly, we may return to the States just before Christmas, though the odds of returning sometime between Christmas and New Years seems more likely.

Though I recognize that there will be lots to do before we head off, the fact that we have done this once before certainly takes a lot of stress out of the process. Once again KJ's parents will be coming out to stay with the boys while we are gone and we can in no way express how much that means to us.

In some ways packing this time around will be simpler and in other ways it will be more difficult. Experience allows us to know more precisely what things are needed, though time of year certainly dictates a new, bulky, heavy set of items. I haven't seen signs of snow yet in the Astana weather, though I have seen nightly lows in the 20's with some frequency.

We do know that we will not have the same apartment we stayed in previously, but do expect something similar in the same area of town. We have also requested that our agency inform our in-country coordinator that we would like to have a DSL connection installed in our apartment before we get there so that we are able to maintain an easy internet connection during our time in country. We did not have this in July, but are regularly seeing blogs of families in Astana talk of having a DSL connection, and thought that we would be as proactive as we could be about getting that set up. Time will tell, but what a difference that would make.

So now we begin to prepare in earnest. The books are being selected, music downloaded, dvd's gathered, gifts assembled, passports readied, clothes chosen, and perhaps most importantly, the brand new money ordered. Three weeks from tomorrow all the prep work will be behind us and we will once again lift off the tarmac at Logan Airport marveling at the incomprehensible ways our lives will have been forever changed before we again touch down in Boston.

I expect to be apprehensive about creating too great a set of expectations, but will certainly not be pessimistic or cynical because of our July experience. As I have said before, these events are all part of the journey that will eventually lead to our becoming a family, and in that journey there is no right way or wrong way, no mistakes, and certainly no regret. As every family accepts, there may be setbacks and challenges, but in the greater world view, ours have certainly been trivial to this point. Are there more ahead - without a doubt. Take Care.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

KJ and Steve,

This is a beautiful post, and we are so happy for you that you are about to head back to Kaz. Your attitude is both commendable and inspiring. We will be thrilled to be able to follow along. (We are submitting our dossier to our agency next week).

All the best as you ready yourselves for the trip!

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Hello, and greetings from Austin, Texas. I've been following along on your journey, and I wish you all of the very best. I hope to be traveling to Kaz next Spring. Please know that there are many of us "out here" that are thrilled and genuinely happy for you. With kind regards, Susan Moore smooretexan@yahoo.com

Monica said...

Wow! I love the amazing timing that I just happened upon your blog today for the 1st time and got to read your exciting news about your return trip to Kaz! {ofcourse I had to read back to have any of it make sense but I'm up to speed now!} For me it's as if I have not missed anything yet and have just tuned at the most exciting part. Best wishes to you. I'll be sure to follow along.
- Monica
researching and hoping to start the Kaz adopt process in another year or so.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

It will be cold!! We went to Astana this Nov 11 last year and came back Jan 7. Being from Texas we were pretty cold. The baby house playroom area will be so HOT you will need short sleeves there. You definately need to go to Ice City there in Astana and maybe up to the mountains on the train. If you need any help let us know. We thank you for sharing your blog and we like to follow along especially the Astana blogs. We were with Commonwealth Adoptions. If you want to see our bundle of joy you can go to www.berikjames.blogspot.com or email us at jaimiegena@yahoo.com

Regina said...

Hello!

I came across your blog by chance, and I just want to wish you all the best in your second trip to bring home your child.

We are also in process and hope to travel in a few months. It's very helpful and inspiring to read your story. We will be following along on your second journey, and will send you all our positive energy for a flawless experience!

Warm regards,
Regina & Frank Ruopoli
www.ruopoliadoption.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

KJ and Steve,
Do you need some warmer layers of baby clothes? I have some ranges in sizes too. I have some stuff available and could get it to you before you leave. Please let me know. I am excited for you, does it go without saying. Give a call or email. Did you get over here for your fried dough at the fair? Sofia was excited about all the animals. She even touched some goats and sheep. Liz

Matthew Ruley said...

I'd found your blog, and then I lost your blog, and I'm so glad to be reunited! Ive made it a fav and will check it regularly while you make your journey. You have such a great attitude. Good luck on your 2nd journey, and I can't wait to read about your successful adventure. Suzanne waiting "at MoE"

The Cook said...

Okay, I love your dogs! I am excited to follow your journey to your daughter. What an ordeal you have been through. I admire your spirit.
There is nothing like having a daughter...trust me :)

www.2kaz4sophie.blogspot.com

I am so excited you are coming to kazapalooza!

Anonymous said...

Steve and KJ,
I'm happy to hear you are leaving soon - keep us posted. I can't wait to hear some news about your daughter! I know you're leaving from Logan - do not hesitate to call if you need anything from us here in Beantown!
Safe travels,
Tess