12 October 2007

Well the weather has been rather rainy for the last few days which isn't such a bad thing when there seems there is much to do.

Yesterday I took time to go back and actually read our blog from the beginning. Like a cook who doesn't eat their own food I suppose, I have never really read my own blog. Once a newer posts is done, I've not gone back and reread any previous ones.

It is surprising how I have already forgotten some of the things that have happened in our process. Amazing how our memories self-edit - replacing fine detail with Gaussian emotions that normalize outlying events into more palatable trends. Boy can I get carried away!

I'm going to detour from the adoption theme for a minute so bear with me.

Aren't words fun. I don't consider myself scholarly in any way, but I do love finding the right word. Having worked with many different organizations and taught in various capacities, I am routinely dismayed by the decline of language.

Just as supermarkets and big box stores have reduced every possible category to the same two or three offerings throughout the world, mass media and communication have allowed us to reduce the number of verbs, modifiers, and the like to a seemingly inadequate arsenal. The benefit is that these words are universally recognized; the danger is that they are typically the linguistic equivalent to Iceberg lettuce.

Selective word choice isn't about elitism, it's about accuracy, about flavor. We can learn to get by on the same old things day after day, but through making an effort to enjoy the distinctive flavors of the world, appreciating the regional differences, and defining your personal tastes we can both define our individualism and strengthen our interconnectedness.

The food metaphor was simply for demonstration purposes for as some of you know, where food is concerned, I am among those who appear quite content to eat the same things everyday. Hey, we are all students in one realm or another. Live, love, learn - repeat as necessary.

This blog has been a great outlet for me. Contrary to what Mrs. Leggett (my high school English teacher) might have experienced, I love writing, and this blog has given me a place to do it. I look forward to the near future when I will have many more things to say and share about the process of adoption and becoming a parent.

I truly appreciate that, for whatever reason, you have chosen to follow our journey. I hope that you find it insightful, informative or at least enjoyable. Please know that we are honored that you take this time with us, and though we will never know that some of you are even out there, the comments left from friends and people new to us have been reaffirming. Take Care.

1 comment:

Jason and Rebecca said...

Wow! I found this to be such a brilliant, insightful, and eloquent post! I couldn't agree more! I've been following your blog for a while now and have thoroughly enjoyed your writing. Congrats on your upcoming travel!

Rebecca- headed to Karaganda very soon!