30 December 2007

If ever you thought that the adoption phase was over once you got home and settled into your own routine as a family, all it takes is one quick outing with a black-haired brown-eyed princess to remind you that your life will never be the same again. I'm not sure I realized how big a billboard would sit atop my head reading 'Ask me about my child?'.

I don't - at this point anyway - find it overly obtrusive, or inappropriate, but I was certainly a little more than taken aback at how readily conversation would be directed my way because of our little energy ball. Granted we were walking in and out of stores catering to babies and thus the number of new/young families was higher than the general population might otherwise suggest, but that said, I quickly realized a need to be ready at a moments notice to have questions come my way regarding Aitugan - questions such as; How old? Is it a boy or a girl? What's her name? Oh that's unusual, where is she from?

Again, these are all well intentioned people I suppose, though I am struck with the feeling that it my previous life(before children), I would never have approached a stranger and child with such questions without some context of familiarity - which apparently being a fellow parent is. I assume my Parenting Guild membership card must be in the mail.

So these first few days at home as a family - terrific! She has really coped exceptionally well, and given the amount of change thrust upon her, she has been nothing short of stellar. As you can see in the photos from the other day, she and the dogs have become fast friends, with they far more curious about her than she is them at this point in the new relationship.

One of our boys in particular (Daouda) has taken to following her endlessly, to the point of wanting to sleep near her as she sleeps, and whining and barking if he is kept out of the room she is in. He is just so intrigued with her, and for us to say anything disparaging about that would certainly be calling the kettle black.

We have made several forays into the world since arriving in Maine with Aitugan. The first was a quick trip into Boothbay Harbor to have dinner. The next day we took Aitugan out in the Ergo Carrier for a walk through the woods behind the house, and then went into Freeport to check out some of the baby retail outlets, and then yesterday took her into Portland and wheeled her around in her stroller.

All of these trips are more to get her accustomed to the various modes of travel and personal restriction that comes with them than they are sincere missions of necessity. The car seat was a bit of a fuss, but nothing worse than we expected. The stroller (Bugaboo Frog) took some getting used to as she seemed a bit removed from us and a bit shell shocked by the lower than normal vantage point wherein legs occluded her line of sight, though within an hour or so seemed relatively at ease.

The Ergo Carrier has been a lifesaver since day one. We introduced her to it back in the baby house, and found it indispensable when we got her home to our apartment in Astana, mostly for rocking/walking her to sleep. At the Hyatt in Almaty we also found the Ergo was a great way to include her on little errands and she continued to see it as a calm and safe place. Here at home it continues to be her preferred way to remain with us, though it can get tough on the back after long periods, and so we are trying to enter the stroller into the mix for those times that warrant the effort to bring it along.

We have a glider chair in her room that has helped to calm her and lull her into sleep, and for naps we use her crib in her room, though at night we have her sleep in between us in our bed. She continues to love bath time and has become quite fearless about putting her mouth in and either drinking water or blowing bubbles.

She goes through sections of her day now where all she is interested in doing is grabbing our fingers and walking around the house. It is certainly exciting for her to have so much control of her motion and direction, though it takes a toll on our backs to remain leaned over for as long as she hopes we would.

It has been marvelous to catch up with family and friends and to once again reunite with the piles of mail that accumulated during our time in Kaz. It is also wonderfully liberating to once again enjoy the personal freedom of maintaing our own schedule and fulfilling our own transportation needs. Ah - Home!

Things here are busy as one might expect. More Later. Take Care.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve & KJ,
First off, congratulations on your adoption! Your daughter is beautiful. Get used to the comments -- it doesn't let up for awhile! Do you have an email address where I could contact you? Your daughter bears a striking resemblance to our daughter whom we adopted from Kaz in Spring '06. Would love to correspond with you a bit. You can reach me at cindymcentire@msn.com.
Happy New Year!
Cindy in S.Florida

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I have that odd sense of knowing you, when in fact, of course I don't. I'm the parent from Phila (now, but Boston as a child) who has written before - adopted in 05 from Taraz and also have a daughter with similar features to those of Aitugan. The best "stranger" comment was from a woman who looked at me (with my brown eyes and brown hair) and then my daughter and said, "So, is she your biological child and your husband is Asian, or is she adopted?" Even as recently as this summer (she is now 4 1/2) I have received questions; at an outdoor concert another woman looked at us both, and then said to me, "Are you Eurasian?" (My husband said I should have replied, "No, but this is my Asian" to throw her off a bit, but of course I did not think of any response except "No, I am not." Well, I suppose everyone means well! Congratulations again.

Kristan and Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Gigi loves the Ergo too. At 27 pounds now, that's the only way I can carry her!

Jim was walking around with her at the airport and a lady came up to him and said, "Oh she's so cute. Does she look like her mother? She has your eyes, but what about the rest?"

I still laugh as I write that. Jim of course had NO idea what to say to that. (He has big, bright blue eyes and Gigi has very dark, Kazakh eyes.)

rowest said...

Glad to hear you are all home. Aitugan has grown significantly!! She looks so adorable and full of personality. What a treasure. Thanks for posting all of the fabulous pics of Astana, especially the ice shots. Wow. We almost miss it.
Happy new year!
Dan, Kerry and Quinn

Matthew Ruley said...

So glad that you are settling into routines! We got 2 Ergo carriers (one for each of us) since we requested 2 kidlets, and if we get 1 child (likely) then either we'll leave one in Kaz for another family or each have one at home. I am working out to strengthen my back and legs for this trip - to carry our child (in PT for herniated disc). Is there anything you recommend to strengthen the back? Or a part of the back that gets more tired than another?

Truthfully, I never even noticed babies until we decided to adopt, I'm not sure they even existed before... Once we decided to, I noticed all the asian babies with caucasian families and had no problem approaching them to ask about their adoption experiences. I'm sure I was rude, but it was out of enthusiasm! Now I see all babies!

Anonymous said...

Just wait until someone asks you if your wife/husband is Chinese...LOL Most of the time, we are asked if Laura is Chinese and when we tell them she is Kazak, we get a blank stare. I was surprised to find out that a lot of people have never heard of that country. You will come up with the pat answers for those people you don't know and then the more detailed ones for those that you do. Congratulations on your new life together....
Shari

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I love to read your updates!! Steve, you write SO well--I love it! Your sense of humor, wonder at parenting life, etc. shows through perfectly! Enjoy the holiday season and hope to see you all soon! Miss you so much, KJ!
Take care and happy new year! Here's to you!

Love,
Holly

Susan said...

welcome home!! And yes, EVERYONE has an opinion or comment when you have a child. :) I am one for always staring at babies since I Have wanted another one for over 2 years now.

I'm so glad you love your Ergo. That is the one I got to take to Kaz with us. It got the best reviews and I've practiced some with my freinds children.

So glad she is doing so well and you are all 3 adjusting. Your blog is so wonderful.
:)

Happy Happy New year!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your beautiful daughter and her successful transition into you lives--As a waiting parent, it is so great to read stories like yours. I hope you don't mind that I follow along.
Mary

Regina said...

Ok, where do we sign up for the Parenting Guild membership card? Seriously???

About all those questions... I heard about an adoptive mom who made up personal business cards to give to certain people after kindly saying something like this to them: "We're in a bit of a hurry today, but if you're interested in knowing more about international adoption, I'd be happy to speak with you about it some time. Just give me a call." But then she said that if the people were outright rude or obnoxious, she had a second set of business cards made up with the wrong information!

I'm happy to hear that Aitugan is adjusting and coping well. She's a real trooper!