18 October 2009

So it is a grey and overcast day here in Boothbay and we have just put Tougy down for her nap. Of course she is not sleeping yet. She is in her bed with her doll Bobek whom she has lavished her attention upon for weeks now.

At the moment she has just finished pretending to feed it a bottle of milk and is along side it as it lies face down on a pillow with Tougy rubbing its back and singing quietly to it. She has been incredibly motherly these last few months, changing Bobek, going to Bobek when she says he is crying, feeding Bobek and rocking Bobek.

It will be so nice to finally have a name and a gender to replace the fruitless attempts all of us have been making to not ascribe a pronoun to the idea of Bobek. Bobek the doll is most frequently a boy, but if you ask Tougy what the real Bobek will be, she mostly says a girl. Either way, Tougy is very excited about her perceived role as a big sister. Of course when reality hits the road, we anticipate a somewhat less warm and fuzzy reception.

For all that our adoption process with Tougy in 2007 was great in that it allowed us to adjust slowly to the concept of becoming a family, that Tougy will get to slowly transition to a new reality of Bobek an hour a day will be most helpful. Certainly the Kazakh adoption process has its frustrations, but the two months of in-county time has always had great appeal to us.

Now that we have a date, we have begun to turn our attention towards the necessity of keeping Tougy engaged and busy during our life in Shymkent. Packing this time around is sure different. Legos, books, craft projects, and personal comforts for Tougy such as blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals seem to be filling our bags fast.

Though we have talked about it as much as we can, the fact that Tougy will have very few people to talk to during our time in Kaz cannot be well conveyed. It will be interesting to see how this affects her. I anticipate that it will decrease her sense of independence and increase her reliance upon us as well as bring out a shyer side to her. We will see.

Of course the topic of Bobek has been fairly all consuming of late. Several times over the last few days as KJ and I have been talking, Tougy has said to us "Excuse me mommy, are you talking about adoption?" To which we usually respond, "Do you want to talk about adoption?" which invariably leads to a "Yes!"

At this point, we usually just wait to see where her thoughts are going. Sometimes she will begin to talk about how we adopted her and how we came to the Astana Baby House for her. Other times she talks about how Bobek is in the Shymkent Baby House waiting for his mommy and daddy and big sister to come. And still other times she will begin to list off all her friends who have been adopted - Rylie, Charles, Aila, Jude, Rafa, Rhodie, Zoe, Leeza, and the list goes on.

As she lists off the names of friends she has who are adopted, it reminds us how much the world of adoption figures into our lives these days. Do we even know any kids who were not adopted. Surely there must be some out there.

Over the past few days Tougy has taken to calling Bobek on her cell phone. Remarkably she carries out long and thought out conversations telling him about the long flights we will be making and how we will be coming soon to hold him and to make him smile. She tells him that she will hold him when he cries and tickle him and explains that his room is next to hers and that he will use her old crib.

Man is it difficult to maintain a narrative without pronouns. We most often say 'he' out of convenience and to avoid confusion about whether 'she' refers to Bobek or Tougy, though we truthfully have no idea. The only thing we feel confident with is that we will know our child when the time comes, and we hope that it comes November 2nd.

Presently, that moment is just more than two weeks away. Incredible to contemplate that all of this speculation and uncertainty may well be replaced with a loving face around the time most of our kids are fighting off sleep in a sugar-induced post-Halloween coma late Sunday night.

Our plan, at least at the moment, is to leave Tougy with someone our agency has found in Shymkent for the few hours that KJ and I initially go to the baby house and meet children. It is my hope that Tougy is still so wiped out from the travel and time changes that she never knows we were gone, but in the back of my mind I know it will not be so easy. All other times we anticipate having Tougy with us.

That we will be the three of us together so intensely for the next couple of months will also require some adjustments. There will be no work, no school, no dogs, no friends, no familiar sights and places. It will be very intense, and I imagine will impact our relationships in formidable ways.

It will be interesting to see exactly how Tougy transitions going from two months of intensified attention, to a new era of divided attention and distraction. Like so many other areas of parenthood, and indeed life itself, ours are not the first lives to make this transition. It is a journey of discovery after all.

So that wraps up a few thoughts and stories I wanted to share and want to end by saying thanks to all of you who so supportingly have followed us over the years. My memory is not such where I can keep all the names straight, but I want to let you know that we appreciate the love and support we have received through our journey, both from those known to us and from those known to us simply as Layla, Kathy, mcMary, Thad and Ann, Quaintance, Kari J, Andrea, makandaddie, Winde, Rob and Donalee, Abby, Pat and Alli... the list goes on. Unfortunately, for many of you we have no way of getting back to you as your profile often does not have an email or your blog is private and so we are left looking ungrateful. Know that is is meaningful to us and that we would love to share more, so leave an email address or contact us at steve.morrison@mac.com.

Take Care.

P.S. Just checked the weather forecast for Shymkent and am happy to report that the next 4 days call for nothing but sun and highs of 75, 76, 77, and 76. Watching it snow in Boston during the Patriots game, I will gladly trade.

10 comments:

Susan said...

ahhh I have missed your posts Steve!! I love hearing how Tougy loves her "Bobek" and anticipates meeting her brother or sister. She is such a smart, mature, and sweet lil girl. I know it will be a transition,but I think Tougy will be a shining star!

It's amazing to hear how much she's talking! Once Leeza turned 2, I am always suprised to hear the new things that come out of her mouth everyday. I am especially suprised when people other than Joe, myself, and Sean can understand her.

I anxiously await to read future postings as you pack to go accross the world once again. That weather sounds fabulous! It was 65 here today and I was cold (not complaining, just saying i was cold. )

Love you guys !! love hearing your thoughts again.

Ginny said...

Congratulations on your trip to Bobek. I remember well what it was like to travel with my first child and meet my second. I hope Tougy enjoys her daily trips to the babyhouse as did my daughter Riley.
I often tell people that the time I spent in Kaz adopting Daniel was a two fold blessing. 1st I was lucky enough to become Daniel's Mommy and 2nd the time in a bubble was such a bonding experience between myself and my daughter. I, We, loved every minute of it. I also believe that Riley understands on a deeper level what her own adoption means having experienced a baby house daily for the duration of our bonding time.
Plus, I think Kazakhstan did me a huge favor in allowing my daughter adjust to the idea of sharing me by seeing me interact with Daniel for just a few hours a day.
Enjoy the journey.
I hope Tougy's experience mirrors Riley's experience at about the same age.

Disney Fun said...

Congratulations! I just found your blog and I see that I have the same travel date as you, although I'm ultimately heading to Uralsk. Maybe I'll see you on the flight from Frankfurt to Almaty :)

kitzkazventure said...

So excited to follow the new journey. Your posts are like reading a really good book and feeling really happy at how it turns out!
I don't think my email is on our blog AND it is now private so we are probably one of those people! ;) I chatted with KJ in line for food in Nashville but have yet to meet Steve "IRL"...maybe next year will be the year. Our boy Nick has successfully dodged your wonderful photography for two years now but I love your pics and all the personalities that you capture!
Please know that we are thinking of you and so excited for you as you go to find your new family member! karen kitzman :)

Susan said...

I wanted to introduce myself as one of those people, too. I've been following along occasionally and will now be following along a lot. We're in the process, although way behind you, for Kazbaby#2, so I am very interested in seeing how everything goes for your family. (Our son Tyler, adopted exactly 2 years ago today(!) was in the same group in the Semey babyhouse as Aila).

Your photography is amazing, by the way, your love for Tougy shines through in every photo of her.

Scott and Paula said...

I too have been quietly following along for a while now and am doing the dance of joy for you guys! I can't wait to see what the future holds for you guys.
Oh, and wanted to thank you for the idea of calling a baby "bobek"! Our daughter received 2 baby dolls shortly after coming home forever earlier this year and we didn't know what to call "second baby". Then when I read Tougy was calling hers Bobek, I knew that was perfect for us to use! =) So now in our house there's "baby" and "bobek" and she knows which is which and can't be fooled.
Can't wait to follow along on your journey (especially since I'm stuck in bed for the next 3 to 4 weeks after foot surgery last week!).
Take care!
Paula
mama to Cecelia from Ust

fotolabgrl at hotmail dot com

Jennifer said...

So excited for you guys! I find it rather telling that I'm looking forward to seeing your photo journal of how the 3 of you entertain yourselves almost as much as I'm looking forward to "meeting" Bobek.

I can't believe it's so close, but this has been a long time in coming. Fall 2009 is a memorable one for many of us!

Kelly and Sne said...

That is very sweet that Tougy is mothering her baby doll little brother or sister. It sounds like she will make a great big sister. And I'll bet that you all will relish the time together in Kaz just like you did the first time around. We still miss it in a way - nothing to do but socialize and bond with your child.

It is interesting that Tougy seems so aware of her adoption at this age. Tonight Miras just acknowledged (verbally at least - but I don't think he 'gets it') that we met him at the Baby House where he was living. He has decided that he wants a little brother rather than a little sister.

Actually I am very curious to follow your story as we are about 6-8 months or so behind you. We are also planning on taking Miras for at least the first half of the trip. So it will be interesting to find out a bit more about what to expect.

I am also really excited about your newest family member and can't wait to find out more about Bobek either!

Thad and Ann said...

oh how sweet is Tougy!?! Love how loving she is with Bobek. :) I sent you an invite to our blog, we adopted our oldest son Jabari(who is now 6!) from Astana. I so loved reading about Tougy's journey home as so many places were familiar to me. Our youngest son Gunnar is 3.5 & is from Karakastek, Kaz. We are Foster Parents now(hoping to adopt) & finding out how different that ballgame is. :) Good Luck on this journey & I am looking forward to seeing who Bobek will be.

marsrob said...

Loving you guys so much. What a thoughtful, beautiful post. Yes, the concentrated time together in Kaz with your amazing daughter will be so amazingly special and unusual - and the transition back home with newly divided time...well, that seems to have been the shocking part for Aila. The permanence of it all. But who knows? Tougy is SO progressed in so many ways around adoption and she has had LOTS of time to prepare...maybe that will help? Aila had hardly a moment. I hope it all goes smoothly. Regardless, it will be AMAZING and life-affirming and wild - a wild ride for sure. LOVING YOU GUYS SO MUCH.